San Pasqual Academy’s Youth Empowerment Services (YES) Program is a work readiness and self-sufficiency program that has been providing services to students since the school opened in 2001. YES is funded by the San Diego Workforce Partnership, who partners with Access, Inc. to provide the direct services. YES provides a comprehensive program that includes work readiness training, financial literacy, leadership development, internships, job shadow, job placement and career exploration activities to all students on campus. The work experience/internship component strives to improve the outcomes for students as they transition off campus and into self-sufficiency. There is a strong correlation between students that have had work experience and internship opportunities prior to leaving the Academy and their ability to maintain employment and become more self-sufficient once they leave.
The Qualcomm Technology and Career Information Center, a state-of-the-art technology center on campus, is the hub of activity for the YES Program. At the Tech Center, the following support services are offered:
- Work readiness skills training, which includes resume writing, interviewing skills, work ethics, and job application requirements.
- Every student (ages 14 and older) has the opportunity to receive up to 180 hours in an internship.
- Middle school students (ages 12-14) are able to participate in the Pre-Employment Traineeship (PET) work experience stipend program on campus. This program teaches the students basic work skills which include: being on time, having a good attitude, dressing appropriately, being productive, and being honest. This experience serves as an introduction into the world of work.
- Work experiences are developed to enhance the student’s current and future employment success.
- A financial literacy program enhances the student’s independent living skills and their ability to be self sufficient upon graduation.
- Opportunities to practice basic employment skills under the supervision of the YES Program.
In addition, the program will provide the following activities:
- Career enrichment activities
- Career exploration
- Work readiness training
- Work readiness certificate recognition
- Financial literacy activities
- Leadership development activities
- Classroom activities in multimedia, video production, culinary arts, agriculture and entrepreneurship
- Case management and job coaching
- On-going support and follow up after graduation
San Diego Workforce Partnership